Monday, May 10, 2010

Into a limbo large and broad, since called The Paradise of Fools, to few unknown.
John Milton,
Paradise Lost
I was writing a post about leaving Bangalore,which got delayed and I had to abandon it.In Jampot now,and it's still not clear which B-school I'll be joining.It has been a week of indecision and inactivity and heat and sudden rains.It is a little weird to realize that office will keep going on as usual and somebody might already have taken up my desk.Have been reading Satanic Verses and Catch-22.There is nothing blasphemous about the controversial chapter concerning Prophet Mohammed in the book,I had assumed there would be some slight innuendo or some such derogatory reference but there is none or perhaps I have not encountered it yet.Catch-22 is a brilliant book with some very well thought out characters and some lines are way too beautiful to be ever forgotten-

"Do you know how long a year takes when it's going away?" Dunbar repeated to Clevinger. "This long." He snapped his fingers. "A second ago you were stepping into college with your lungs full of fresh air. Today you're an old man."

"Old?" asked Clevinger with surprise. "What are you talking about?"

"Old."

"I'm not old."

"You're inches away from death every time you go on a mission. How much older can you be at your age? A half minute before that you were stepping into high school, and an unhooked brassiere was as close as you ever hoped to get to Paradise. Only a fifth of a second before that you were a small kid with a ten-week summer vacation that lasted a hundred thousand years and still ended too soon. Zip! They go rocketing by so fast. How the hell else are you ever going to slow down?" Dunbar was almost angry when he finished.

"Well, maybe it is true," Clevinger conceded unwillingly in a subdued tone. "Maybe a long life does have to be filled with many unpleasant conditions if it's to seem long. But in that event, who wants one?"

"I do," Dunbar told him.

"Why?" Clevinger asked.

"What else is there?"

PS-My garden is in bloom even in summer(Zinnia & Sun plant according to Mom),makes for great photographs-I can't have enough of photographing my garden from my room. and there is a Bulbul pair making a nest in my garden,photos will follow.

2 comments:

ankita said...

After almost 2 months.
Now is the perfect time to post something everyday.

Deepika said...

Lovely. Haven't read the book. Will pick it up right away.

I am Jack's indecisiveness wrapped in a sheath of fatalistic tendencies